Saturday, October 11, 2008

Sulfur Shelf - Chicken of the Woods

Normally, when I do find some nice chicken of the woods mushrooms they are Laetiporus cincinnatus or the white pored variety. But I had a few minutes to spare so I thought I would check one of my sweettooth patches out real quick and see if anything was still up. Unfortunately there were no sweettooh but I did find some pretty yellow fungal fingers beginning to stick out of an old dead snag. I left them alone and returned 4 days and a good rain later to find some real beauties of Laetiporus sulphurues.
.



Here are a few pics that Jon, a local hunter, he takes such great photos I rarely use my own camera anymore.









In the end I came home with three nice one pound clusters of some of the freshest chickens you can find. Made for some good eating and even had enough left over to dry some for winter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband's friend just found a 40lb one! We never had one before and my gosh it really did taste like chicken!