Monday, February 11, 2008

Winter Reading Part 2: Paul Stamets Interview

Today I read this superb interview with Paul Stamets on the "vast intelligent network beneath our feet." This is a must read for mushroom lovers as it introduces you to one of the foremost experts on fungus and their cultivation. Stamets best explains how important fungi is to our environment and illustrates many of the symbiotic relations and vital roles they play in the environment. he also introduces you to his philosophy about fungus. More of which you can get from reading his book Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Save the World (which i highly recommend).

The interview is in The Sun Magazine, so I am not sure how long this link will work.

Going Underground: Paul Stamets on the Vast, Intelligent Network Beneath Our Feet

(sorry unless you subscribe to the magazine they don't give you access to the entire thing. If you would like to read the full article email me and I'll send you a copy).

While I'm on the subject of books, I have just ordered my copy of 100 Edible Mushrooms by Michael Kuo. This is a good book to read for those thinking about hunting wild mushrooms. Kuo's books, like his website, are full of information in a style that is a lot easier to read compared to the more traditional mushroom identification tomes. And his books usually have some super pictures. You know, the kind that when you look at them this time of year, you can almost smell the woods of spring and summer.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Greg Wasserman and I am a reporter for the Columbia Missourian. I am currently working on a story about Stan and Mid-Missouri Morels and Mushrooms. What I need now is to hear your, the blog's readers, stories. Please contact me at glwxb6@mizzou.edu or (989)859-6365.

Thanks,
Greg

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.