Sunday, September 25, 2011

Soup's On!!! First Mid-MO Hen of the Woods


Well, I went out this morning to hunt with Calvin, a fellow Mid-MO mushroom hunter from up north. It is always great to meet other hunters and share stories, especially when times are dry. Sometimes, mother nature rewards your persistence and patience and today was no exception.

We first found some puff balls, small gem studded ones. Then we came across a nice chicken log that someone else had gotten to first and made off with some good poundage. They left behind a few nice shelves though, so a pound of chicken went into the bag.

We walked a bit more and out of no where I stumbled across the beauty pictured above. A HEN in September. What luck. About 4 pounds worth all super fresh and all usable and destined for the hearty hen soup I will be serving at the upcoming foray in a few weekends. Back to the woods, but here is one video before I go.

I am not positive but this may be the first hen in MO.


8 comments:

mrogers07 said...

Congrats on the first hen...it's a beaut! I wonder who took the chicken...it was not I.

ahistory said...

I found out it was mycologista and anthony who claimed prize to the chicken. Beat me to it by a few hours. Glad they missed the hen.

Anthony said...

Nice hen! I was in such disbelief about the amount of chicken I was looking at, I probably would have missed a forest of morels. Glad you could get some chicken off that log too!

mrogers07 said...

How much chicken did you get off that tree?

Anthony said...

Oh, I'd guesstimate maybe 6-8 pounds between the two of us. Most I've ever seen so far, though I know that is likely a small amount for some.

webjunkie said...

Sten still have not worked out what that was with the black gills. I am thinking Agaricus but I did have someone tell me it was a wine-cap stropharia, Stropharia rugosoannulata, but I am not sure they grow here

webjunkie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
webjunkie said...

by the way webjunkie is calvin :D