Saturday, April 09, 2011

Morel Militia Hits Mid-MO

Last year a rowdy crew of folks from across the state decided to meet for a morel hunt in hopes of finding a good score early in April. Unfortunately, we were early and had little luck in our chosen spots. Jon Rapp, who has been know to attend fungal forays was there and took a group photo before everyone went home. When he sent it to everyone, he dubbed us the "morel militia" and our name and our ranks were formed.

Hoping to not have a repeat of last year, we gave it a shot again this year with the addition of a few folks who were kind enough to create and establish the morelhunters website that many of us have grown to love. Although hot, it turned out to be a spectacular weekend.

It was great to see old freinds and to meet some new faces. Camoshroomer was a tremendous host and morelchef, well he lived up to his name more than once. I have never eaten so well during a season. Dinner normally is whatever I can get the strength to muster after a day in the woods (AKA mac N cheese). Last night I ate a huge steak just slathered with morels. Also, I finally found someone who can keep up with me. the don't call him The Mushroom King for no good reason. TMK you can hunt with me any day.

Most important between Friday and Saturday, I picked over five pounds, which was exactly 418 mushrooms because most were small to medium grays/yellows. Everyone found some and all went home with a smile and having lost at least 3 pounds from sweating.

I'm too tired from all the walking today to say more, so here is a video from today to tide you over until I can post more photos and stories later. It will give you a real feel for how we hunt militia style.


Any militia members who attended, please feel free to leave a comment and add your own tales of the weekend. I had to leave early, so there are sure to be more finds tomorrow.






Oh and here is one militia member at an early stage in his mushroom career.



4 comments:

Thomas said...

Well same here AHistory you can hunt! Even though it was hot and water ran low! We couldn't stop hitting every tree. Thanks For the exercise!

Anonymous said...

Hot and water ran low seems to be the theme of the day! Funny how heat exhaustion has no power over picking morels! It was great to hunt with friends and come home happy. My body is still feeling it this morning, the last four miles my muscles were cramping, I was shivering from the heat, but I still found myself checking that next tree. I had lost control of my body and was along for the ride, seriously wondering if the mushroom hunter in me was trying to kill me! Well, we lived, and I'm off to hunt another day, alone, without my Militia friends by my side. Till next time brothers and sisters!
LinnCreeker :)

Anonymous said...

Yum. Glad I found your blog: I'm in north central Arkansas and have found a whopping 20, but they were awesome! Am going up to NW Missouri the next few days hoping to find some. Wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

Yum. Glad I found your blog: I'm in north central Arkansas and have found a whopping 20, but they were awesome! Am going up to NW Missouri the next few days hoping to find some. Wish me luck!