Monday, March 16, 2009

Let the Madness Begin - The First Morel Report in Missouri

Forget reds, if you are down south, it's time to get the real thing.

That's right folks, from the far southern parts of the state comes the first Missourian to hit the message boards and report a find near Branson, MO. Long ago I stopped trying to gauge the veracity of these early reports. No matter what proof you have this early in the season, many people won't believe you. So, I just take folks at their word. If someone lies, only they miss out, since they do not have any morels to eat. Besides it's about time for a report to stream in from either Branson or Poplar Bluff. The black morels should be starting to pop down there, especially this past weekend and the next few days of warm and perhaps wet weather.

The first find brings back another installment of the Missouri Morel Progress Map, which will soon take up its temporary residence the next month or so in the upper right hand corner of the website. I have found these maps useful in the past and it was a good way to track progress as the morel hunting marches steadily north. I will do what I can to try and update it regularly, but once the season hits my area, I am not making any promises as I'll be in the woods every chance I get.

So, for now enjoy the first red dot and know that soon dots will be in your area. If you are one of the lucky ones to find some morels or any other edibles in the coming weeks, be sure to drop me line and report you find and I will add a dot to the map for you. So start stretching those legs and getting your gear ready. It soon will be on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We live in Peculiar MO and have been going "hunting" for a couple of weeks. The finds have been one or two in spots spread very far apart. We left them and waited about a week. Today we went back and there were more. Two of them were about six inches in length and two inches in diameter. There were some smaller ones but not too much smaller. Hope to find a lot more as the season contiues.

Anonymous said...

only one tiny black and one golfball size red at sullivan mo