Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Morel Season - The Real March Madness

Well from the increase in comments on this blog and from the explosion of posts on the many morel report boards, it looks like most of you are just like me, and beginning to get real antsy to get back out in the woods and have a look around. I must admit, I have been able to resist the urge so far, knowing full well that ground and air temps are still pretty low, but with such warm weather it is really hard. I can't wait to see these little guys again.

It is a primal urge almost impossible to ignore. Every time I get into the car I find myself noting certain trees here and there. Morels begin to seep into my dreams, both those when I'm sleeping and when I'm sitting in meetings at work or eating with my family. Even when I do not have morels on my mind, they pop up everywhere. For example in the locker room before a workout the other day, I couldn't help but overhear two people talking about past finds and disappointments and the promise of the upcoming season. As the season approaches these conversation become all too commonplace. From the cashier line at the grocery store, nearby diners at a local eatery or even waiting for the dentist. In March and April, all minds seem to be focused on the wonderful morsel that is the morel. What I think of as the true Missouri "gold."

I suspect some reports will be coming in very soon from the southern part of the state. People usually begin report finding black morels by mid-March in areas around Branson and Poplar Bluff.

I do hope the moisture picks up between now and then. It has been a rather dry season in my area and although this recent batch of rain will help, the long-term forecast does not look as promising. But this is Missouri and if you don't like the weather just wait a day, it's bound to change.

Getting back to reports, if any of you find one please let me know. If it is soon, then I would suggest sending a photo with your find and a dated newspaper. I'll take people at their word, but morel hunters, especially early in the season before anyone has found anything, take on a real "Show Me" attitude to claims by anyone, even seasoned hunters like myself.

The photo to the right is of the first morel I picked last year on April 4th (the one on the left). I left the others along with many more in this area and came back and got them a week later when they were of a size worth picking. Happy hunting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the update. You keep a great website. Great pictures, as always. I'll let you know when I find my first morel of the season in the St Louis area. --STLmorelschants&hens

Anonymous said...

I KNOW the feeling! Nice pictures.
Those now will be added to the other thousands constantly dancing in my head.

Anonymous said...

I was under the impression that the entire morel grew underground and then 'popped up' when it could.
I guess you learn something new everyday.

So if you leave them they grow bigger? How much bigger? Why do you see old ones that have been up for a very long time that are still quite small, then?